Heal Thy Sore Throat
Ya know what? We have a lot in common. Love, health and success are on our wish lists. It’s also likely that we’ve experienced a sore throat at some point. Or we definitely know someone who has.
So, what causes the scratchiness? Point a finger at toxicity from the environment, or diet, stress, low immunity or shouting. They all create inflammation in the back of the throat, near the tonsils.
Tags: anti-inflammatory, apple cider vinegar, gargling, licorice root, natural sore throat remedy, slippery elm bark, sore throat
Posted in Health & Beauty | 6 Comments »
Everything You Need to Know About Flax & 5 Easy Steps to Make Flaxseed Crackers
By Maureen Lauder
For a teeny tiny seed, the flaxseed sure does pack a punch! Regular consumption of flaxseeds delivers huge quantities of lignans and alpha linolenic acid (not to mention bunches of fiber). Why do we care? Well…
- Alpha linolenic acid is an essential omega-3 fat that produces anti-inflammatory effects. This means fewer symptoms of asthma, less arthritis, fewer migraines, and less chance of osteoporosis.
- In the standard American diet, the ratio of omega-3 to omega-6 fats is skewed. We tend to take in too much omega-6, which promotes inflammation and bone loss. Increased omega-3 consumption (through foods like flaxseeds and walnuts) helps readjust that ratio.
- Omega-3 fats help reduce the formation of blood clots-which means less risk of heart attack and stroke.
- Omega-3 fats also keep cell membranes flexible, enabling better absorption of nutrients and eliminations of waste. There’s no point in extra healthy eating if the nutrients can’t make it all way into your cells, now is there?
- Flaxseeds also do an amazing job of controlling cholesterol. One study found that people who ingested 20 grams (about 2 tablespoons) of ground flaxseeds each day reduced their cholesterol counts at about the same rate as those who took statin drugs.
- Flaxseed also contains high quantities of lignans, which protect against breast cancer in post-menopausal women. Lignans also work to cut off the blood supply to tumors, thus reducing the likelihood of cancerous growth.
- AND, regular flaxseed intake has been shown to reduce dry eyes and minimize hot flashes.
Pretty impressive for a little seed, huh?
Tags: alpha-linolenic acid, anti-inflammatory, cholesterol, dehydrated crackers, flax crackers, flax seeds, linolenic acid, Omega 3, vegetable crackers
Posted in Health & Beauty | 7 Comments »
- by Naturalhealthsherpa
Imagine for a second that you are not seated in your office or home but instead in Hawaii walking along the soft beaches of Oahu. Like at most beaches, there are people caught up in different forms of recreation around you – jogging, swimming, surfing and hiking. Suddenly you begin to notice the difference between the people around you – the tourists and those that are local to the region. That’s because the locals do not only have trimmer looking figures, they also have a glow that simply radiates abundant energy and good health! More importantly, none of the locales seems to be sneezing, coughing or suffering from a runny nose.
And now suddenly, you’re puzzled about this discovery and you struggle to understand what the secret might be. Is it the abundant sunlight that they receive? Or the absences of stress in their lifestyles? The prevalence of salt in the air? Those things may play a role, but the real secret lies within the world’s largest seed.
Tags: anti-fungal, anti-inflammatory, candida, Coconut, coconut oil, healthy eating, metabolism, skin care, weight loss
Posted in Health & Beauty | 3 Comments »