Halloween “Watermelon Brain” Recipe
By Angela (from the happy raw kitchen)
It’s that time of year again, when swampy green smoothies, spooky fresh fruit carved into monsters, and dragon blood green juices are all the rage! That’s right, you can have a healthy Halloween celebration where fun and costumes are enjoyed by all without the sugar crash and tummy aches. Enjoy our series of healthy raw vegan Halloween recipes, and share them with your friends and loved ones!
This is the easiest of raw Halloween treats. The famous Watermelon Brain. The idea for this has been around for a while, but in case you missed it, here are some step by step instructions for creating a brain from a watermelon.
Halloween Watermelon Brain Recipe
If you are short on time, this takes about 20 minutes. It can be made ‘ahead’ of time and kept wrapped in a clean damp cloth in the fridge.
- 1 small seedless watermelon
Also needed, a peeler and knives – a large one for bigger slivers, and a smaller one for the more intricate carving.
How to Make It:
- Wash and peel watermelon. You may use a soft fruit peeler.
- Look at the melon and see which side will make the best looking brain. The narrow oval looking side on top usually works best. Cut a small slice off the bottom so it is stable.
- Using a very thin or sharp knife make the first cut down the middle. Widen the cut slightly by making another cut next to the first one at a slight angle about 1/8 inch away from the first cut. This will allow you to remove a V-shaped sliver of melon and reveal the red ‘flesh’ underneath.
- Using a picture as a guide, such as the one from Instructables used here, continue to carve out slivers of melon in a brain-like pattern.
Hope you enjoy this healthy raw Halloween treat!
About Angela of The Happy Raw Kitchen
In February 2007, Angela discovered the benefits of raw food. Since then, she has enjoyed the challenge of creating healthy, delicious meals using fresh vegan ingredients. You can read her blog filled with scrumptious and original recipes on her blog, The Happy Raw Kitchen.
Tags: healthy halloween recipes, raw vegan desserts, raw vegan halloween, vegan halloween, vegan party food
Posted in Health & Beauty | 1 Comment »